Friday, October 29, 2010

My first day off!

I'm adapting to India nicely. My time at the ashram is surprisingly very busy and that suits me fine! Our schedule starts at 5:20am and lights are out at 10pm. We are learning a lot about yoga in many different ways. Back at home in Canada, 'yoga' means only the exercise part of it. However, yoga is so much more. There is the entire philosophical side of it, the karma side of it (pertaining to helping others selflessly) and the singing/chanting part of it. I find myself exhausted by the end of the day, yet I am strangely energized as well! Last night we had a traditional Indian music concert. A man played a 'sipoor' (sort of like a small harp) and another man accompanied him with a 'gadjam'..... that might be spelled wrong. The music was so beautiful and the musicians were so passionate about their music.

The food is very, very good at the ashram. I will miss it a lot!! It is all vegetarian and it is so very tasty! We sit on the floor and we eat with our hands! I'm getting much better at it.... at first I felt like I was in play school making a mess of my plate!! Since I can't take any photos of the eating hall, here's a link to describe what it's like...

http://www.ifood.tv/blog/how-to-eat-indian-food-the-traditional-way-a-survivors-guide-to-indian-dining


The power goes out ALL the time here!! Luckily I brought my trusty headlamp! It has come in handy almost everyday! Also, we have had thunder and lightning storms every night and the rain POURS down! Last night I sat out in the rain for about 20 mins and I played with a few frogs!!

There are monkeys just outside our lecture hall and they sit and watch us!! I find it funny because when we are trying to meditate, we refer to our busy mind as a 'monkey brain' because it is so hard to stop thinking about things. The monkeys come around to distract us..... it sure is a TEST not to watch them!! Today, on our day off, we went to a temple in the mountains and monkeys were everywhere, and they came right up close to us. I have so many amazing pictures, but I will have to post them a little bit later. As I said, internet is very slow here and I have to do it when I have a lot of time.

We are already learning how to teach each other the asana classes. We get into partners and teach each other how to do one posture at a time. It's been very helpful for me and I like how we're gradually becoming more comfortable with it. This is a very great course. I am so happy I'm here.

When I first arrived here in India, Michelle and I spent our first 2 days in Madurai. We were very much OUT of our element. Everything was so very different from the way it is back home. A week has gone by and now, being back in this city for my day off, it's exciting to see how much less intimidating it is to me already!! I eat the way they do, I recognize so any of the things the people are doing and I understand why it so much better now. This is truly turning into an experience I will never forget.

Slowly Michelle and I are planning our next month of travel. We're getting tidbits of suggestions from many of our new friends who know the areas we're hoping to get to. We now have a lot of places to check off on our list!

One thing we know we plan to do is a 10-day Silent Meditation retreat. It'll be very difficult not being able to talk for 10 days. From what we've heard, no one leaves disappointed. It'll be such a great opportunity to go deeper within ourselves.... You may not recognize me when I get home.... I'm changing so much already.

Well, I have a few emails to write, so I'd best be finishing up. I might not have time for an in depth post next week. I think I might take my next day off and truly make it that.... a day for rest! That will mean I won't come into town for internet. But, know that I am safe, and absolutely loving and appreciating every second while I'm here!

Much love... xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment